In the mid-90s, Hotmail became one of the biggest free email services, and if your family didn’t have AOL, chances are good your first email address was with Hotmail. Hotmail got so big that they ended up being bought by Microsoft, and it has been rebranded as Outlook now. Anyone who has already signed up for a Hotmail address will have noticed that when they try to go to the Hotmail homepage to sign in, they are redirected to a “live.com” website from Microsoft with the word “Outlook” in big bold letters. Fortunately, although it is technically now part of Outlook, you can still sign up for Hotmail email addresses (that is, one that ends with “@hotmail.com@). Currently, it’s the only other option you have from Microsoft other than an “@outlook.com” address, and if you have thought about signing up for Hotmail before, you will want to do it as soon as possible. Microsoft has been gradually shifting everything over to Outlook, and the most likely scenario is that new “Hotmail” email addresses won’t be available anymore in a few months or a year from now.
Signing up for Hotmail email
Signing up for a new Hotmail email address is quite simple and just requires a little personal information, a working internet connection, and a few minutes of your time. Below, you’ll learn how to sign up for Hotmail step by step.
How to sign up on Hotmail
- Make sure your computer is connected to the internet, and use a web browser to go to “www.hotmail.com”. As Hotmail is now owned by Outlook, this will redirect you to the Outlook sign up/sign in page. This is where you will sign up for Hotmail too, so don’t worry.
- On the Hotmail/Outlook sign in page, near the bottom you will find a link that says, “Don’t have a Microsoft accout? Sign up now!” Your Hotmail/Outlook account is considered a Microsoft account (I know, it’s a little confusing), so this is the link you want to click to sign up for Hotmail.
- You should now see the Hotmail sign up form, which is where you will enter your personal information, choose a new Hotmail email address and password to sign in to your account when it’s set up.
- Enter your personal information in the appropriate fields.
- For your username, choose what you want to be your new email address (the part that goes before the “@” sign). Important: the default setting is to give you an “@outlook.com” email address – to get a Hotmail email address, click on the gray drop down arrow and select “@hotmail.com”.
- Choose a strong password with a combination of letters, numbers and special characters is you like. Re-enter the same password in the “confirm password” box.
- Continue entering your personal information, including country, birthday, sex, and a phone number that will be used to make your Hotmail account more secure and help if you ever forget your password. You can also enter an alternative email address for this same purpose.
- Finally, prove you’re not a robot by entering the Captcha code written at the bottom. Then click “Create account”.
- Congratulations, you just signed up for Hotmail and can now login to your account.