As you may know, Windows Live aka Hotmail was one of the first free email services on the internet, and it’s still going strong today. Hotmail was also a pioneer in messaging services with its messenger, which was created in 1996 and was known as MSN Hotmail at that time. Hotmail has been rebranded multiple times, and it seems like it gets better each and every time that happens.
Nowadays, Windows Live Hotmail (owned by Microsoft and one and the same with Outlook) has been upgraded to meet the fast technological developments that users expect. The service is constantly updated and has new additions and features that are designed for the satisfaction of users around the world, and aims to make using the internet easier and more useful, effective and productive. Hotmail easily accomplishes this with all its services to help you manage and control you email accounts.
The Hotmail app for mobile and Windows
Hotmail now is accessed through the same platform as the classic Windows Outlook, and its application “Microsoft Outlook App” has some really useful features that allow you to manage your emails so quickly and easily from your smartphone or tablet, to save your time and make it the most productive. You can have a look at your different email boxes/folders (inbox, sent, draft, trash, and junk), check the news that interests you, conveniently connect more than one account to a single inbox, have your social media updates right in your inbox, and much more.
Just like 20 years ago, today Hotmail is still a free service that offers you 1000 MB for storage in your email and allows you up to 10 MB of email attachments. You can also splurge on a premium version called Hotmail Plus, which costs $19.95/year with a storage space of 2GB and 20MB of email attachment, with no ads. If you can’t wrap your head around paying less than $2/month for a premium email service but really hate ads, you could always install a free ad blocker extension on your browser, but you won’t get the extra storage space this way.
The best features of Hotmail/Windows Outlook
- Swipe emails to manage and sort them easily on the mobile app; default settings are “left” to archive and “right” to delete, but you can customize this in the Hotmail app’s settings.
- Schedule a clean-up of your Hotmail inbox. Automatically move unwanted messages such as news-letters, or messages from a certain sender to junk mail.
- Timed deleting of messages; you can choose to delete messages after 3, 10, 30, or 60 days.
- Unsubscribe, block and delete unwanted newsletters in one step only.
- Keep your important emails at the top of your Hotmail inbox, even if there are new emails.
- Using DocMail and PhotoMail, you can create, edit, rename your photo albums, and add or remove photos from any album before sending.
- Send files via SkyDrive. Emailing big files has always been a problem since Hotmail limits the volume of attached files. But with this new feature, you can choose the big file you want to send from your SkyDrive/OneDrive instead of attaching it to your email.